Mr Pompeo was due to meet Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Jeddah on Wednesday to discuss the crisis before heading to the United Arab Emirates.
A U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told AFP that the administration has concluded that the attack involved cruise missiles from Iran and that evidence would be presented at the UN General Assembly next week.
The message "emphasized that if any actions are taken against Iran, that action will face an immediate response from Iran and its scope will not be limited to just a threat", the official IRNA news agency said.
Speaking at a press conference on Monday with his Russian and Iranian counterparts, Erdogan said: "Who first dropped bombs on Yemen?"
Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman had said on Tuesday that Saudi Arabia's average oil production in September and October would be 9.89 million barrels per day (bpd) and that this month's oil supply commitments to customers would be met fully.
Iran maintains the largest ballistic and cruise missile capabilities in the Middle East that could overwhelm virtually any Saudi missile defence system, according to think-tank CSIS, given the geographic proximity of Tehran and its proxy forces.
But it's hard to directly attribute the drone to Iran given the vast variety of drones the country uses, Tack said. "It didn't come from the Houthis".
It wasn't immediately clear whom the sanctions would apply to, but Trump has said the penalties that have crippled Tehran's economy since May 2018 would "substantially increase".
"The attack was launched from the north and unquestionably sponsored by Iran", he told a news conference.
Diplomats said that United Nations experts were also being sent under a Security Council resolution on Yemen due to the Huthi rebels' claim of responsibility. But Saudi officials had not yet determined from where the weapons were launched.
In comments made immediately after the Saudi briefing, Yemen's Houthi military spokesman Yehya Saree said some of the drones used were new, with a range of up to 1,700 kilometers, and were launched from three different points inside Yemen.
Trump has previously said he does not want war and is coordinating with Gulf and European states.
The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Joseph Dunford, told reporters in London that Iran or its allies were likely to have been involved. Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr., chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said USA military officials are reviewing how they could "help the Saudis defend themselves".
Thus, regardless of the actor behind the recent air attacks, the vulnerability of Saudi Arabia's oil infrastructure has been demonstrated to Riyadh and the world.
The rebels have been battling a Saudi-led coalition backing the internationally recognized government in Yemen since 2015.
The president said on Tuesday that he doesn't want to meet Rouhani in NY, as the Iranians weren't "ready" for talks.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani had suggested that the attack was an act of self-defence. He noted that "the Yemenis carried out a similar operation around two years ago".
Earlier this week Saudi Arabia announced it would join the International Maritime Security Construct operating in the Strait of Hormuz - of which the United States and Australia are members, in order to support peaceful trade - after high profile stoushes with British tankers in the region.