Harvey Weinstein and his former studio's board have reached a tentative $25 million settlement with dozens of his sexual misconduct accusers.
Louisette Geiss, another plaintiff, said the settlement was "our way to hold all women up. We are trying to create a new reality where this type of behavior is not accepted". "These are not technical glitches in any way, shape or form", she said.
The process has been long and complicated, involving lawyers for the women, Mr. Weinstein, his former board members, creditors, insurers and the NY attorney general's office.
However, Attorney Thomas Giuffra said the deal was similar to the one announced several months back and its most distressing element was a "punitive provision" that was structured to force complainants to settle.
They said in a statement: "We reject the notion that this was the best settlement that could have been achieved on behalf of the victims".
Weinstein, 67, limped into Manhattan Supreme Court Wednesday using a walker, which, his attorneys explained, is the result of an injury suffered during a auto accident in August. Because some alleged victims have declined to participate in a criminal trial, or have complained of offenses that are not criminal or fall outside the statute of limitations, the court case in NY centers on just two people. "But this proposed settlement does not allow for a truly voluntary choice".
Other lawyers praised the deal, including Steve Berman in Seattle and Elizabeth Fegan in Chicago.
Attorney Genie Harrison, who represents a former assistant of Weinstein's who is part of the settlement, echoed similar sentiments.
More than 30 people have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct, sexual harassment and rape.
"Just because someone makes a claim doesn't make it true", Rotunno said.
In a tentative deal with his accusers, it seems as if Harvey Weinstein is getting off better than he probably could have hoped for, and frankly, it is infuriating. "There is no amount of money that could restore what he took from the survivors".
According to the Times, some of Weinstein's high-profile accusers like Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek are not part of the settlement. She said that number included the NY attorney general's office, which also had sued.
Messages left seeking comment from Weinstein and his legal team were not immediately returned.
Weinstein's lawyer, Donna Rotunno, said he is "looking forward" to the trial. Under the deal, the insurance companies for the Weinstein Co. would pay the victims with the most serious claims as much as $500,000 each. The settlement would still require the approval of the court and the parties involved.
The settlement's terms remain uncertain.
Judge James Burke gave Weinstein three options to cover a new bail of up to $5 million and warned the disgraced movie mogul that he'll face jail if other issues crop up.
NEW: Harvey Weinstein appeared in a New York City court using a walker, where bail was increased from $1 million to $5 million over allegations he mishandled his electronic ankle monitor; Weinstein's rape and sex assault trial is set to begin January 6.
Last Friday, prosecutors argued that Weinstein's bail should increase from the $1 million cash he had already paid because he had violated the conditions of his release numerous times.
Prosecutors allege that he raped a woman in 2013 and performed a forcible sexual act on another woman in 2006.