We are looking for 2 specialist associates to help in the collections!
Department: Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum
Reference No: LKCNHMNAC1
Post Date:29 Apr 14
Close Date: 13 Jun 14
The Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum (LKCNHM) is Singapore’s only natural history museum and is located at the National University of Singapore. We are looking for two motivated and hands-on individuals who will assist with the maintenance of the collections. The candidates will predominantly help museum scientists with general maintenance and curation of the museum’s collections of biological specimens and publications.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform general maintenance of the museum’s collections of biological specimens and publications, as well as associated facilities. Maintenance work includes curation of specimens and their containers, and topping up preservatives and cleaning of premises
- Assist in packing and mailing of specimen loans
- Participate in field surveys and collections
- Assist research visitors and students, and oversee volunteers in collections
- Supervise vendors performing general repair and maintenance works
- Other duties as and when assigned
Selected candidates will be trained in-house by curators and managers on the methods and safe practices of handling preservatives and specimens; and on the importance of both scientific and historical collections.
- GCE O-level or N-level educational qualification
- Must be able to speak and write English
- Must not be afraid of dead animals
- Must have interest in animals and the natural world
- Possess patience and tolerance of repetitive work
- Use of basic computer software such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Able to work in a team and independently
- Skilled with hands for practical work, and fieldwork
- Open to learning new skills
- Knowledge of photography and documentation
- Class 3 vehicle driving licence
For more information and to apply, visit the Career@NUS page.