We are looking for a research associate or fellow to run activities of the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN).
The ICZN Secretariat is currently based in the Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum (LKCNHM), at the National University of Singapore (NUS). This position is a one year contract (renewable). Salary and benefits will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The Executive Secretary of the ICZN (as “Secretary” in the following) is the only permanent staff of the ICZN Secretariat and is responsible for running the ICZN’s daily activities. The Secretary has four main roles:
- Communication. The Secretary responds to enquiries from the public, and where not immediately possible, refers the matter to an appropriate member of the Commission. The Secretary also ensures that information on the Commission’s online media outlets is up-to-date. The Secretary handles the transmission of information between NUS and the ICZN (viz., reports and finances);
- Editing. The Secretary acknowledges all submissions to the Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature, works with the Editor-in-Chief to have these submissions reviewed, copy-edited upon acceptance, typeset by an external printer, proofed by the authors and published online (currently via Biotaxa and BioOne) as well as on the ICZN’s website. The Secretary is also responsible for preparing the text of the Opinions resulting from the regular voting on ICZN Cases and having them reviewed by relevant ICZN members. The Secretary also prepares successive instalments of the official lists and indexes;
- Administration. The Secretary is responsible for administrative duties arising in the routine activities of the ICZN. These include organising of and reporting on the regular voting on ICZN Cases as well as votes on other ICZN matters (amendments to the Code and Constitution; changes to the Bylaws), handling all Bulletin subscription matters (with the exception of receiving subscription monies), organising of meetings, recording of the minutes of meetings and the organising of and reporting on elections (Council and Commission); and
- Finance. The Secretary is responsible for working with the ICZN President to plan the Secretariat’s expenditure for each financial year to ensure sufficient funds for all activities. The Secretary also ensures that donations are registered with and processed by NUS. The Secretary is not responsible for any form of fundraising activities.
- MSc or PhD degree in a relevant discipline;
- A demonstrated knowledge of and interest in the field of taxonomy and nomenclature;
- Excellent skills in:
– Scientific publication;
– Written and oral communication using English;
– Organization of international networks;
– Interpersonal interactions; and
- Demonstrated familiarity with tools for electronic communication, both with individuals and for groups.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to attend an interview with ICZN Officers in Singapore, the costs of which will have to be borne by the candidates.